Today I ran the Amy Thompson 8k (5 mile) Race at Loose Park. This is the first time I have done this race and it really was a great race. It was small and family friendly, but drew a good crowd. It was NOT my best race, at all. Not by a long shot. My overall time was 50:45, which is about a 10:10 minute pace.
Mark and the girls were at the finish line waiting for me. I love this picture that Mark took.
The race started at 8:00. We got there plenty early and went to the bathroom twice. We walked around and scoped out the starting and finish line. We noticed that the finish line was uphill, nice. Oh, and the starting line was too.
At race time it was close to 80 degrees, a nice warm morning. We started on time and I could tell RIGHT away that my legs were off. I tried to shake it off, told my self to just let my legs get warmed up. We started up hill as well, so I was hoping my legs just needed some time to wake up. The first mile was around Loose Park. It was not too crowded and I just stayed to the side and let others pass me. Mile 1 was 9:49. I was hoping to see Mark and the girls at a certain spot, but they were not there yet. I was so bummed. I knew they would be at the finish line though.
With my legs feeling off I had a lot of disappointment. I remembered how good I felt at the Trolley run and knew I was nowhere close to that feeling or that running pace today. I decided just to keep going and try to focus on something positive...like the fact that I WAS RUNNING and it was great exercise.
About that time, just a little over one mile, I saw Mark and the girls. They did make it down early to cheer me on during the race. I picked up Addison and gave Lauren a high five and kept on going. It was go great to see them. They gave me a little burst of energy.
Mile 2 was 10:17. We ran through the neighborhoods south of the Plaza and Brookside. The houses were gorgeous, but the hills were ridiculous. They mentioned rolling hills...and there were SEVERAL. More than rolling hills in my book.
Mile 3 was 10:27. I was hot and thirsty at this point. As I was running I was trying to think of ways to improve my speed in the future. I am not a fast runner and I know I will never be an 8 minute mile runner, but I would like to find a way to have a pace of 9:30. Usually on race day I can do that but not this morning. Maybe I need more speed work, maybe more cross training, more stretching??? I really am not sure since I am just an amateur runner, but I am sure going to do some research and see if I can pick up my pace just a little bit.
Mile 4 was 10:09. I got some water, heard the new Katy Perry song (I repeated it 3 times) and realized that the race was over half way done. I knew the end was closer and I could push a little bit harder. At this point I was running on Ward Parkway, which was nice a flat. A nice change from the neighborhood hills. One thing I am very proud of is that I ran the whole time. No walking from me. I know a lot of runners walk off and on throughout races and they is how they train, but for me if I stop and walk it is hard to get going again.
Mile 5 was 10:02 and that gave me a negative split (I ran the second half faster than the first half.) The second half was flatter, except the last mile. Up and down a few more hills and the finish line was uphill as well. Once I turned the corner I actually sprinted up the hill...as fast as I could sprint as least. I was looking for Mark and the girls and they were at the end of the finish line. It was great! I heard my name announced as I came across the finish line and that was great too.
My running buddies, Jenny and Casey (Casey and I went to high school together!)
My cheerleaders, getting ready for their race. Which deserves a post of it's own.
So, not my best race at all. My legs were not in it. But given the heat and the hills I am happy with my time and my pace. I am going to do one short run this week and then Hospital Hill on Saturday. Hospital Hill is going to be a great race. I have some goals in my head that I hope I can reach!


No comments:
Post a Comment